Sheffield’s student accommodation has had 600 break-ins in less than a year, locksmithservice.co.uk has revealed.

New crime statistics show that Sheffield is the third most-targeted student city, with 706 recorded burglaries within a one-mile radius of the University of Sheffield’s main campus buildings.
Leeds was found to be the second most burgled university area, with 799 incidents, just behind Manchester which leads with 822 student break-ins.

The research was revealed by private company locksmithservice.co.uk, who researched crime in 25 university areas, excluding London, across the UK.

64 per cent of 2000 students surveyed admitted to leaving valuable possessions, electronic items and wallets, in view of windows and doors.
48 per cent of respondents also claimed they didn’t lock their main door before they went to bed.

Students have been advised by the locksmith service to always lock their windows, rooms and doors when leaving their flat.
Victor Baron, Managing Director of locksmithservice.co.uk, said: “We therefore urge students among the fun and enjoyment of living with housemates, to safeguard their property and own personal wellbeing by consistently remaining cautious.”

Law and French student at the University of Sheffield Zoe Norton, 18, said: “I feel like I should have locked my door when I left for University today. But I always feel safe at University and we live in a nice area.”

Last year, the University of Sheffield’s Student Communications team launched their student safety and security campaign, Thieves Inc.

The campaign consisted of a series of short films on the subject of property theft, safe nights out and scams.

MA Zoology Student at the University Aisling Bennett, 22, said: “We’re easy targets aren’t we? Student houses here are really old; they’re easy to break into.”

Darnall was revealed to be Sheffield’s most broken into suburb by The Daily Star’s 2012 Your Right to Know campaign, with 335 burglaries.

Councillor Harry Harpham, who represents Darnall, said: “It is very disappointing to get burglaries wherever they are.
But I know the police have a very difficult job to do considering we are losing officers due to unfair Government cuts.”

All research and analysing figures provided by https://www.locksmithservice.co.uk/