The University of Sheffield was recognised as one of the best employers in the UK for workplace equality for the fourth year in a row.

The leading LGBT charity Stonewall has acknowledged the University’s commitment to gender equality, diversity and inclusion in the Workplace Equality Index 2017. The Index received 90,000 responses from 439 organisations who submitted applications, making it one of the largest national employment surveys in Britain.

Chief Executive of Stonewall Ruth Hunt said to recipients: “you are at the forefront of driving LGBT inclusion in the workplace and we are incredibly proud to work with you. With your continued partnership, we can ensure that all lesbian, gay, bi and trans employees across Britain are accepted without exception.”

Sheffield’s latest ranking acknowledges the University’s efforts to challenge discrimination and create an inclusive workplace for lesbian, gay, bi and trans employees.

The University has also been awarded the Athena Swan Silver Award for its advancement in gender equality in 2014 and launched the Women Academic Returners Programme, designed to help female academics when returning to work after maternity or carer’s leave, and won the Education Sector prize at the Opportunity Now 2007 Awards.

Josh Willacy from Stonewall said: “The University of Sheffield’s work and commitment to creating an inclusive environment for LGBT staff and students has been exceptional this year. From meaningful and thoughtful events held, to the inclusive communications, rainbow lanyards and ever growing LGBT allies group Open@TUOS, the University continues to raise standards and share best practice. Here’s to an excellent achievement and an exciting year ahead!”

Almost 1,000 members of staff from across the University has joined Open@TUOS, an initiative to empower all staff to help create an open, inclusive environment for LGBT colleagues and students.

From 2018, The Stonewall Index will include trans-related questions for the first time.