Women’s Hockey
The University of Sheffield 5s 1-0 Huddersfield University 1s

The University of Sheffield Hockey Women’s 5s have bolstered their promotion chances by again beating Huddersfield 1s in a match they dominated, running out as 1-0 victors.

The return fixture a week ago saw the 5s thrash Huddersfield 6-0 and they continued this dominance from the off.

They had most of the possession in the opening minutes with Huddersfield failing to get out of their half as Sheffield sought an early advantage.

Huddersfield managed to limit Sheffield’s chances to just short corners as they piled bodies in front of the opposition.

In turn Sheffield halted any attempt at a Huddersfield attack, sweeping up any loose passes as the ball rarely strayed from the opposition’s area.

As the half went on chances were scarce for both teams with Sheffield enjoying most of the possession, but they could only muster half chances with a shot from Charlotte Pritchard glancing the post.

The breakthrough did finally come for Sheffield moments before half time, the ball came in from the right and fell to Jessica Halfield who slotted past the keeper.

The second half began as the first ended, Sheffield once again dominated possession and offensively looked sharper. Ellie Robbins found space and broke into the area, only to be met by the goalie who scrambled her shot away.

Mackayla Rae also went close, skipping past three defenders before testing the Huddersfield goalie who parried her shot to safety.

Sheffield continued to stop any Huddersfield attempt at an attack, intercepting passes and diverting the pressure right back to the opposition.

Rae continued to pull the strings on the right flank, taking on players with ease and creating chances, only for her teammate’s efforts to be saved by the Huddersfield goalie, who showcased excellent stopping abilities.

With the game drawing to a close it seemed certain Sheffield would convert a second time and put the game to bed, Huddersfield had all but abandoned attack and were dedicated to defending their area.

The second goal would never come though as the game finished 1-0. Sheffield coming out as deserved victors.

Mackayla Rae told Forge Sport: “The first half was definitely better than the second but we need to work on getting the ball in the box, we struggled there.”
The 5s next game is a crunch match against the Hallam 3s, with the latter just a point behind them in the table.