Women’s Lacrosse
University of Sheffield 18-5 Manchester Metropolitan University

There was double celebration for the University of Sheffield’s lacrosse teams as both the Men’s and Women’s teams reached the final of their respective cup competitions.

The Men’s 1s reached the final of the BUCS Trophy after a 16-3 victory over Edinburgh, before the Women’s 1s beat Manchester Metropolitan University 18-5 to progress into the final of the Northern Conference Cup for the second time in two years.

It took 10 minutes for Sheffield’s Women’s 1s to break the deadlock in their semi-final against MMU as Anne-Marie Du Preez put the hosts ahead following a long ball from defence by Ellie Durband. The hosts doubled their lead, a minute later, when Roisin Doyle scored from close-range, but MMU pulled a goal back in the 14th minute in a competitive start to the match.

Despite MMU sitting second in the league above Sheffield, the hosts continued to dominate. Holly Knowles restored Sheffield’s two-goal advantage, before Doyle scored her second goal of the game, finding the top right corner from inside the crease.

Sheffield didn’t have the safety of a three-goal cushion for long as MMU cut the deficit immediately from the face-off. Doyle, however, ensured Sheffield went into half-time with a 5-2 lead, scoring a brilliant goal on the stoke of half-time. Sheffield’s top scorer spun around the defender, before firing into the roof of the net.

Two goals in quick succession from Emily Roche and Du Preez set the tone for the half as Sheffield scored 13 goals after the restart. Roisin Doyle added two goals in the space of a minute to give Sheffield a six-goal margin, before a quick-fire treble from Sports Officer Emily Roche extended the black and gold lead to 12-3 with 15 minutes still to play.

Doyle, Aoife Gilchrist and Du Preez all scored goals within three minutes of each other to extend Sheffield’s advantage to 12 goals, before MMU scored their fourth goal of the afternoon in the 51st minute. Catherine Roberts and Roisin Doyle took Sheffield’s goal tally to 17 with two goals in two minutes.

MMU scored their fifth goal three minutes from time, but it was only right that Sheffield had the final say after a dominant performance. Du Preez made sure this was the case firing into the roof of the net to seal a 18-5 victory and a place in next week’s Northern Conference Cup final against Leeds Beckett University.

Naomi Shaw, the Women’s captain, said: “I am very pleased because we have matched our performance in this competition from last year. We are ending our season with our three biggest games; but it should be really fun, we are really excited and hopefully we can win all three.”

Men’s Lacrosse
University of Sheffield 16-3 University of Edinburgh

The Men’s 1s made it a double celebration for the University’s lacrosse team after reaching the BUCS Trophy final with a 16-3 victory over Edinburgh. Ben Page-Laycock continued his fine form with five goals, Alex Burley scored four, Sebastian Dodd and Matt Tatton both scored three, while Marcus Goodlad also got his name on the scoresheet.

The Men’s 1s will now play the University of Cambridge in the final which will be played on Wednesday 22nd March as part of the Big BUCS Wednesday in Bath. A week later, both the Men’s and Women’s sides will play Sheffield Hallam in Varsity.

Adam Jones, the Men’s captain, said: “That’s the best I have seen us play this season. We faced a good Edinburgh team; they were undefeated this season and we weren’t too sure what to expect; but we have stepped it up again. I can’t think of a single player who didn’t pull their weight today; everyone was really on their game and now we can’t wait for the final.”