Women’s Futsal
University of Sheffield 0-4 Bangor University

Although they lost 4-0 to Bangor, the Sheffield Women’s futsal team can hold their heads up high after a great league performance.

Sheffield went into the game on the same points and goal difference as Bangor University, both unbeaten in four league appearances. However, Sheffield had only recently suffered a crushing 37-1 defeat to the University of East Stirling in the Cup, which could have been playing on their minds going into the important tie.

Bangor started the game strongly, scoring twice in three minutes, which put Sheffield on the back foot and allowed Bangor to dominate possession in their half.

Sheffield’s Kathrin Gruth and Jia Ling Kam tried to grab Sheffield a much-needed goal after this, but kept on having their efforts saved well, or cleared.

As the half reached the 15 minute mark, it was clear to see the attacking ambition from Sheffield, but they weren’t delivering the accurate passes they needed to get into good scoring positions.

In the first half, Bangor had 13 shots on target compared to just five for Sheffield. In truth, their goalkeeper Hannah Dalgleish kept them in the game by making some tremendous reaction stops to stop Bangor in their tracks.

In the second half, Sheffield were the more determined side as an attacking threat, by stopping Bangor from even having a single shot until the eighth minute, which unfortunately turned out to be a goal, putting Bangor 3-0 ahead.

However, Sheffield looked more lively up front, with a key chance coming in the tenth minute from Juliet Smith, after receiving a lovely through ball from Chloé Chassouand from the left-hand side, forcing the Bangor keeper to get down low to save the shot and turn it away for a corner.

With nine minutes to play, Sheffield started throwing people forward in the hopes of a last ditch comeback, and Courtney Daniels almost toepoked a ball home inside the penalty area, but it was saved at the last second by the Bangor goalie’s thigh.

But any hopes of a comeback were dashed when with just three minutes left, Bangor managed a fourth after a defensive error, slotting home to take the Northern 1A Conference title.

Katherine Bluff, the captain of the Sheffield Women’s futsal team, said that: “All of our players put in 100% today, I’m so, so proud of the team this season.”

“This is the best we’ve done in the history of our team and I think the whole club is proud of what we’ve achieved this year.”

“I’m not here next year, but a there’s a lot of the girls here who have only started playing futsal this year and have fallen in love with the game. It’s so amazing to see so many girls getting into the sport and I’m sure next year we’ll be able to put out another amazing performance.”