The University of Sheffield’s Men’s 1s Table Tennis team have been promoted to the BUCS Premier Division after overcoming the University of Edinburgh in a two-legged play-off.

This is the fourth year running that the Uni team have advanced to the play-offs. But after years of disappointing defeats, including an agonising loss to Edinburgh last year, the Uni team set out to reverse the tables. In the first leg on March 29 at the English Institute of Sport, they took no prisoners, defeating their opponents 16-1.

A week later a relaxed squad travelled to the Scottish capital, knowing that just two sets, out of a possible 17, would seal promotion to the UK’s top league.

As soon as Uni set foot into Edinburgh’s Pleasance Sports Hall, their ruthless attitude took centre stage. Taking an early lead, Uni immediately secured qualification to the Premier Division, but it didn’t stop them motoring on to a classy victory, losing just two sets from the single doubles and 16 individual matches.

Uni Table Tennis Club said: “We were extremely calculated in our win while maintaining the utmost respect for the opposition.

“This was an amazing end to the best season the club had to date. The 1s won the BUCS Table Tennis Trophy against an incredible Nottingham team, the Men’s 3s also achieved promotion from their league, and we once more took all three Varsity points against Hallam!”