Stuart Bingham fought off a resilient Peter Ebdon to reach the second round of the BetFred World Snooker Championship.

The two former world champions provided an entertaining spectacle full of high quality snooker. Flashes of brilliance from the veteran Ebdon punctuated the first session, and a late rally was met with fierce celebration.

Bingham held on though, and later gave his opponent some deserved credit: “The ninth frame proved what sort of tough, gritty player he is”.

Monday morning’s final session was a far more topsy-turvy affair, with the pair trading frames. The 14th frame was pivotal, coming down to the final pink and black with ten points the difference. Bingham’s failure to pot the pink elicited gasps from the crowd, but Ebdon, who won the tournament in 2002, couldn’t capitalise. Bingham potted both to take a four frame advantage, and one from winning the tie.

Though Bingham got going in fits and starts, he displayed flashes of the tournament-winning form that gave him a shock victory two years ago. The final frame was typical of the match, in which the tenacious Ebdon almost seized victory, only for Bingham to surge to a late win. It was enough to see him through the tie, and to face Kyren Wilson in the second round.