Former world champion Graeme Dott rolled back the years to dump world number ten Ali Carter out of the Snooker World Championships with a 10-7 victory.
Dott, who lifted the title in Sheffield back in 2006, continued his Crucible love affair with a scrappy win over two-time finalist Carter.

Having already played three qualifying matches to reach the first round, Dott was well into his stride coming up against an opponent who had not fallen at the first hurdle since the year Dott claimed the world title, 2006.

The Scot went into Wednesday’s session leading 6-3, but Carter provided a reminder of his ability, potting 11 blacks in a 111 break that lasted just over 12 minutes.

There had only been three breaks of a half-century or better in nine frames on Tuesday evening – Dott made it two from two Wednesday frames with a well-timed 74, despite opening the frame by accidentally potting a red while dispatching the blue.

Dott’s three-frame advantage would not last, however, and after wrapping up a hard-fought 12th frame Carter began to claw his way back into the match.

The 13th was claimed by world number 29 Dott, but when he missed a long red Carter, who had reached the last 16 in each of his last four Crucible visits, showed his potential to at least match that with a sumptuous 104 break, followed by an 88 to make the score 8-7.

It was here, though, that Carter faltered. The 2008 and 2012 runner-up potted the cue ball during the opening exchanges, handing Dott the advantage.

Over just short of half an hour the frame hung in the balance before Dott took control, Carter fouling again at the death to end any chance of overturning the 39 year-old’s lead.

The 17th and final frame was unsurprisingly tight. With the scores locked at 45-43 in Dott’s favour, the veteran edged his way clear and seemed destined to win, before an untimely miss on the yellow.

Carter, though, failed to take advantage, leaving Dott to pot the yellow, green, brown, blue and pink to seal the tie and a second round clash against Barry Hawkins or Tom Ford.

Speaking afterwards, Dott said: “I was quite comfortable in the way I played. The only thing is I never scored so heavily.

“I’m just happy to be here. When you have to play qualifiers, you never know if you’ll be back again. You’re playing against the best in the world here, you can’t go into your shell and play tippy-tappy a lot.

“I’m not the best at anything, but I’m pretty good at everything. I’m hard to beat. I’m comfortable – you’ve got to be comfortable playing here.”

A downbeat Carter said: “I lost it in the first session, really. I found myself four frames down but I should have won two or three of them.

“At times, I was just fractions from being perfect. He won the scrappy frames.
“He’s barely won a match all year – he seems to save the best for me in Sheffield