Sheffield took home two silvers in the relays and a second place overall as they hosted the BUCS Orienteering competition last month.

The team from Sheffield University Orienteering Club (ShUOC) fielded 34 runners and finished second of 24 universities, behind long-term rivals Edinburgh.

Saturday’s individual race took place at Wharncliffe, just north of Sheffield, on the weekend of March 18 and 19.

Battling through rain, wind, and a physically demanding course, Sheffield’s best placed athlete on the 6.6km long Women’s A, Tamsin Moran, finished in 14th place.  On the Women’s B, Jade Bowling missed out on the medals, finishing fourth after 4.2km of racing.

In the Men’s A, three runners from the University of Sheffield finished in the top ten, with Matt Elkington, Joe Woodley and Olly Williams taking fifth, sixth and ninth place respectively over 10.6km.

ShUOC also train with students from Sheffield Hallam, and Dane Blomquist took the bronze medal for the university. In the Men’s B race, Stephen Elkington was Sheffield’s best runner, finishing fourth on the 6.6km course.

The weekend, organised by Rhona McMillan with help from the local club, South Yorkshire Orienteers was attended by over 200 athletes.

Saturday night saw the universities unite for a social before spending the night sleeping on the floor of Goodwin Sports Centre.

It was an early start on Sunday for the relay, held in Hugset Wood, near Barnsley. The complex contours, mud, and brambles made for a challenging race.

The women’s first team of Katrina Hemmingway, Alice Rigby, and Tamsin Moran finished with a silver medal. ShUOC club captain Tamsin Moran started the final leg in a great fifth position, made no mistakes in her race, and finished in second place.

In the men’s relay, the “Men of Steel” also took the silver medal. Olly Williams came back in fourth place after the first leg, then Joe Woodley caught up two places, before Matt Elkington ran the fastest time of the day to maintain the place.

Edinburgh dominated both relays and took both gold medals, as well as the overall team prize, with Sheffield finishing second.

Next year’s BUCS orienteering will be hosted by Oxford University.