The University of Sheffield’s very own brass band will showcase their talent this Saturday 29 April with a wonderful ‘Last Night of The Proms’ style concert. This highly anticipated concert comes following a fantastic result for the band at the inter-university brass band competition, UniBrass, where the band came second in their section, beating a field of 10 well matched rivals.

The upcoming spring concert will celebrate the band’s quality by showcasing some of their fine soloists. The musical moments to look forward to include: The Harry James Trumpet Concerto, played by James Booth, the band’s principal cornet player; Rhapsody for Euphonium which will be performed by Tim Dunn; and the classic tune, Georgia on My Mind played by Gerry Simpson. Other programme highlights will include All Night Long and Fat Bottomed Girls. The concert is set to be a great success with a mix of rousing British tunes, classic brass band music as well as some more modern hits. There will be something to suit everyone’s taste, so make sure you’re there to celebrate your University’s brilliant brass band.

Tim Dunn (left) will perform ‘Rhapsody for Euphonium’ on Saturday.

On offer will also be some fantastic raffle prizes, donated by businesses from across Sheffield. By purchasing a raffle ticket to support the band, you will be in with a chance of winning: a meal for two at the Doctor’s Orders, a £20 bar tab at Walkabout, or one of three beer gift packs, alongside other great prizes.

Tickets are just £7.50, or £5 for concessions, and will be available on the door. The venue is St Andrew’s United Reform Church in Sheffield (postcode: S3 7RQ), which is in Broomhall, just a short walk from the University. For more information, take a look at the Facebook event.