The University of Sheffield tasted success at the FA People’s Cup last weekend after Wockey FC edged a thrilling penalty shoot against Nottingham Medics.

The six-a-side team, consisting of the Uni’s women hockey players, won 4-3 on spot-kicks after the final at Play Football Birmingham ended in a 3-3 draw.

Wockey FC, created four years ago by hockey club secretary Victoria MacDonald, won two tournaments to qualify for the finals and were drawn in a group of six, qualifying in third to reach the knockout phase of the competition.

In the semi-final, they faced a Loughborough side who had just lost two games in the competition but triumphed 2-1 after two goals from Cat Powell.
The final produced a topsy-turvy match, one where the momentum swung both ways. Wockey FC opened the scoring through Powell but were pegged back and then found themselves fall behind to a stunning individual goal from Nottingham.

A darting run down the right from Bexx Woods had levelled the tie before a smart free-kick from Powell regained the advantage for Wockey FC.

Even though Nottingham equalised in the last minute Wockey’s desire in the shoot-out took them to victory, goalkeeper Fiona Small saving the decisive penalty to the delirium of the team.
Woods, captain of Wockey FC, said: “This morning I was on the Chris Evans Breakfast show talking about our experience which was very exciting, but the best part is we get to lift our trophy at Wembley.

“At half-time of the FA Cup final, we get presented our trophy on the pitch. The FA has funded the entire tournament including our transport, provided lunch and cup final tickets.
“We entered just to have fun and to play a different sport. Our team is a mixed ability from complete novices to people who had played a high level when they were younger.”