Running from 2nd to 22nd May, the University of Sheffield is playing host to a range of concerts, film screenings and talks as part of the Festival of Arts and Humanities.

Taking inspiration from the seven Arts and Humanities departments, the festival’s themes for this year are Exploring Social and Political Cultures, Sights and Sounds and Thinking about Thinking.

The festival kicked off with a monumental musical concert of The Day Before Spring featuring the University’s Broadway Orchestra Society. It was the first time the full score of the musical had been played since 1953, after Dr Dominic McHugh, of the Department of Music, tracked down the score at the University of California. The musical was written by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe, who are of My Fair Lady and Gigi fame.

On 10th May, author Ben Aaaronovitch discusses his urban fantasy series Rivers of London. The novels follow detective Peter Grant who, after a ghost sighting, is recruited in a branch of the Metropolitan Police that focuses on magic and the supernatural.

Ever fancied dining like a Roman? Enjoy a four-course Roman-inspired meal, whilst listening to poetry, stories and philosophical talks at Inox Dine on 18th May.

If poetry centred on our local area interests you, Sheffield’s very own Pete Green and Ben Dorey will be reading from their new pieces of work Almanac (Green) and Seven Hills (Dorey), which discuss everything from the economy to internationalism and culture.

The festival concludes with a talk from historian, broadcaster and author David Olusoga, who will be giving a talk at The Diamond on black British history.

Other events that are not to miss at the festival include a concert from Sheffield’s LGBT choir Out Aloud and a medieval cabaret in the magnificent Sheffield Cathedral.

The Festival of Arts and Humanities has been a huge success in the past and this year promises to be no different.

Visit the festival’s Website for more information.