Last week the University of Sheffield hosted a non-stop ten-hour hockey match in aid of The Teenage Cancer Trust and Neurocare.

Both men’s and women’s sides took to the field to contest the longest ever sports match played on the pitches at Goodwin.

The two teams mostly compromised players from Uni’s hockey club, with different abilities distributed evenly among teams to provide everyone with a fair chance of playing.

The club thought it was important that the more talented players didn’t run the show, something which members were always keen to point out whenever their rather more experienced colleagues attempted showboating on the pitch.

Organiser Emily Ramsden, said: “It is a way into the club for people that are hoping to improve and get into a team or just have fun and play hockey once a week with their friends.

“Overall it was an excellent day which raised hundreds of pounds for charity, and all organisers and players should be pleased with their efforts.

“The reaction has been amazing. People enjoy having a laugh and relaxing with a good knock around. It was a big effort to get the word out and a struggle to get the pitch for the whole day, but I managed it in the end.

“By the end, I was unsure whether it would all work out, but then by the end, we had over 30 people playing at once! It was crowded but hilarious to watch.”

The concept was simple, from 10am to 8pm the Goodwin pitches would play host to the longest game of hockey seen this season.

After hearing about the Sheffield Uni Hockey Club’s 10-hour hockey match, I was keen to take part and end my maiden hockey playing season on a high; especially after a seventh place inter-mural league finish and rather disappointing loss to BioMedSoc in the quarterfinals of the knockout competition.

So naturally, with exams looming I grabbed my stick and headed down to spend a few hours playing in what is likely the longest game of hockey seen at Goodwin and help raise money for two excellent causes.

Naturally, with it being so close to exam time, there was the question of whether many people would be available to play. The match did run pretty much continuously bar the necessary breaks and changes in structure dependent on player numbers.

When I arrived, it was a basic six-a-side format, as more people arrived it developed into half a full-size pitch before finally reaching the standard pitch size crawling with players that made the traditional long passing seen in hockey rather irrelevant.

I even managed to score a couple of goals here and there, despite some wayward shooting going rather close to hitting the opposing keeper in the face but aside from that I found it very enjoyable as did everyone else who played.