A lifelong Sheffield Wednesday fan has taken devotion to a new level by creating a model Hillsborough out of Lego.

Jordan Sykes, who has had a season ticket at S6 since he was a child, has built the north stand of the Owls’ home ground to commemorate the club’s 150-year history.

He plans to continue working on other areas of the stadium, including the famous Kop stand, with some help of Wednesdayites who are willing to chip to help fund the project.

Mr Sykes, 25, said: “I’ve been a Wednesday fan all my life and wanted to get my step brothers involved so I starting bringing Jack, who’s 14, to games, and after a couple of games we tried to get our younger brother Harry, who’s 11, involved on the way back from his first match, which was a 1-0 win over Rotherham with a last minute penalty.

“It had been a bit of a boring game and to help peak Harry’s interest I suggested we make Hillsborough out of Lego.

“As the north stand was being built it occurred to me that if the little project went to plan the club might want to use it as part of the celebrations from the anniversary year. I emailed the club and they seemed keen on the idea, and the ‘Owls in the Park’ was suggested as an opportunity to exhibit it.”

The ‘Owls in the Park’ will take place on Sunday September 3, tying in with the date the club was formed on September 4 1867, and will feature a number of events, concluding with a firework display at Hillsborough.

Mr Sykes, who teaches at a school in Hull, added: “Unfortunately a mixture of lack of funds and a month in America means I won’t get it done then but the club still seem up for exhibiting it at some point so I thought I’d turn to the generosity of Wednesday fans to help raise the money to build it. I’ve had a donation of £100 from one fan and a couple of other donations so have been able to order a parts to start building the Kop.”

More information on the project, plus details on how to donate, can be found here: https://legohillsborough.wordpress.com/