The Uni of Sheffield Rugby Union men’s 1s started the season with a comfortable 29-3 win over the Uni of Liverpool 1s yesterday.

The team, backed by a big crowd from the other black and gold men’s rugby union teams, showed great spirit to work as a unit to start the season off with fireworks.

Sheffield started as they meant to go on with a try and a conversion from Archie Ward after a Sean Casey hard-line through.

Another hard-line through from the same man minutes later led to a penalty that was converted by Will Hodgson.

Sharif Doug got the next seven points for the black and gold’s before Liverpool got their only points on the stroke of half-time when they were given a penalty.

Liverpool were on the attack for the majority of the second-half but a stubborn line from Sheffield denied Liverpool a comeback.

Excellent individual runs from Matty Branfield and Matt Law led to trys scored by Harry Blackwell and Angus Bowyer respectively to seal the win for the strong uni team.

Sean Casey, Man of the Match, said: “We are very happy with our performance today against a strong Liverpool side. The team looks strong for the coming season especially with the fresher’s coming into the side.

“The team are determined to get promoted this season and are working hard in training to assure this.”

The men’s first team finished second in the BUCS Northern 1A league last season.

The next fixture is the derby against Sheffield Hallam, who lost against Durham 10-6 in their last outing. Hallam won promotion from Northern 2B last season and will be looking to challenge Uni of in both the league and Varsity.