There was an all-Sheffield University encounter as the University of Sheffield 3s beat University’s 4s 2-1 at Norton Playing Fields.

In blustery conditions, the game started out as a tight affair, with both sides having plenty of the ball without threatening to create any obvious goal scoring opportunities. But the 4s sprung an early shock at around the half hour mark, with striker Luke Pearce scoring a fantastic lob shot over the keeper 30 yards out.

However, the 3s responded well to falling behind, hitting the crossbar just a few minutes later directly from captain Patrick Sandbach’s corner.

But it was the 4s who finished the half slightly on top, and they should’ve doubled their lead five minutes before half-time. Matt Fulloway managed to get on the end of some great work and cross in from the left hand side, but his effort went narrowly over the bar.

The second half started off how the first 45-minutes ended, with a golden opportunity for the 4s as Fulloway’s strike towards goal went inches wide of the post.

As the half progressed, the 3s began to have the lion’s share of the ball, although they couldn’t seem to find a way through a stubborn and well organised 4s defence.

With the weather conditions deteriorating and around 15 minutes to go, the 3s’ perseverance paid off as Elliot McNab levelled with a long range shot, aided by a deflection on the way, giving the 4s’ keeper David Boorer minimal chance of stopping it.

And with only five minutes left on the clock, the 3s’ turnaround was complete, courtesy of another long range, curling shot from Matty Gorman that bounced off the underside of the crossbar before going in.

It was a goal that can only be described as sublime.

There was time for one last chance for the 4s, but a tame header from a couple of yards out was comfortably saved by the opposing goalkeeper.

Gorman’s goal was the last of a tight encounter, which finished 2-1 to the University of Sheffield 3s in a game that was played in rather harsh weather conditions.