Growing up in a mining village not too far away from Sheffield, I will never be able to forget when news of Thatcher’s death broke.

My Facebook timeline could easily be mistaken for a Maggie Thatcher Haters Club. Walking down the high street I’d be met with, “have you heard the bitch is dead?” The joy was practically tangible.

I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don’t think it is right to celebrate the death of anyone to such length.

We need to reflect on our own values as human beings.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some awful people in this world who I think many of us could agree would benefit society as a whole if they ceased to live, but to actually celebrate their death seems a bit extreme.

Take the case of Thatcher, for example. Some consider her one of the greatest Prime Ministers in living memory, others consider her the devil incarnate who ruined the lives of pretty much everyone in the North, with devastation that transcended a generation, touching lives even today.

Whatever your opinion, she was a person and to have parties with burning effigies and parades celebrating her death just seems cruel.

You’re probably thinking “but what about Hitler, or evil dictators of the past and present? Shouldn’t we celebrate their deaths?” Again I’d have to say no. To be relieved or overjoyed that an end has come to the tyrannical reign of such people is one thing, but I think we need to reflect on our own values as human beings and consider what it means for human nature if we can be so quick to celebrate the death of someone else.

As far as I’m concerned if you’re prepared to celebrate someone’s death then you’re no better than they are.

Opinion pieces are the view of the author and in no way reflect the views of Forge Press.

Words by Shelby Storey
Image credit: Sgt Adrian Harlen, Crown Copyright (Flickr)