Seventy per cent of young men and women in Yorkshire and Humberside have seen sexual harassment on a night out, a new survey for Drinkaware has found.

It also found 67% of people surveys expected women to be on the receiving end of inappropriate comments, touching and behaviour while on a night out.

49% of people also said they’d experienced some form of sexual harassment while out drinking too.

Drinkaware is campaigning to end unwanted sexual harassment and its “normalisation”. They are giving advice to people who see harassment, with the three steps ‘spot it, check it, speak out’.

The three steps involve seeing if suspicious behaviour is occurring, whether it is safe to step in and talk to the person being targeted, or staff/security at the venue,

“For far too many people, drunken sexual harassment is now sadly part and parcel of a night out,” Janet MacKechnie, Campaign Lead for Drinkaware, said.

“Being drunk is no excuse to grab, grope or make inappropriate comments to strangers on a night out after a few drinks.

“If people see someone being sexually harassed, asking them if they are ok can make a big difference – whether they’re a friend or a stranger.

“It can be difficult to know exactly what to do which is why Drinkaware are giving young people this information and advice in the hope that next time they feel more confident to offer support to someone.

“It’s time to put an end to unwanted drunken sexual harassment. Asking someone if they are OK and giving them support sends a clear signal that this behaviour is no longer going to be tolerated.”

Celeste Jones, Woman’s Officer, said: “My advice to students is to report these incidents and look after each other. Students can take the pledge and take part in the University and Students’ Union joint campaign called ‘ACT’ where we want students to Ask, Care and Tell be active bystanders and to look after others.”