University of Sheffield Men’s Football 1s claim their first win of the season with a thrilling 5-4 win against Liverpool Hope University 1s.

The nine-goal thriller showed excellent attacking talent from both teams and equally some poor defensive mistakes.

Liverpool scored in the first minute of the game when a defensive error in the box led to their striker smashing the ball to the keeper’s right.

However, the black and gold team equalised minutes later when a beautiful run from the half way line by captain Will Saxon was rewarded with a rebound goal from Tom Dally after Saxon’s shot was parried to Dally’s feet.

They then went on to take the lead when centre back Ollie Basham played a long ball that found goal-scorer Dally on the left who squares it to Alex Bradshaw to put it in the back of the net.

Dally carried on his electric form when he sent the right back packing with his skills before curling the ball bottom right off the post to make it 3-1.

Liverpool got one back just before the break when the defence were unable to clear the ball away after a header from a corner hit the crossbar only for it to smashed past goalkeeper Alex Mooney.

In the second half there were few close calls for an equaliser from Liverpool, however, Sheffield snatched the next goal. Captain Saxon won the ball back in the final third then ran to the right side of the box before drilling his shot in at the near side.

Liverpool then closed the gap once again with number 11 executing from just within the box when given too much space by the defenders.

Sheffield responded immediately to get the two-goal cushion back. Substitute Yan Griffiths used his speed down the right flank to whip it in for captain Saxon to get his second with a volley into the top left corner.

Liverpool were awarded a penalty late on after goalkeeper Mooney brought down their striker in the area which was converted by number 9 for his second of the game.

This led to a nervous last five minutes for the Sheffield team but they held on to get all three points.

Saxon, captain and scorer of two goals, said: “We battled well in the game. We were very good attacking scoring five goals but conceded four goals so we have a lot to work on but will take that into training on Monday.

“Dally was brilliant in the first half especially, with two goals and an assist. He came up from the threes and has really hit the ground running.”

They lost their first game of the season 5-3 against the other Liverpool university John Moores but are delighted to get off the ground running.

The boy’s next two games are away against Leeds Beckett and Newcastle University.