After a narrow defeat to Huddersfield 1s last week (72-80), Sheffield Men’s 1s came back fighting in a high scoring game against Leeds Beckett 2s.

Sheffield got off to a fantastic start, leading 20-4 after the first quarter, which put them in a great position to lead the way for the rest of the game and it went on to be a 100-point game with Sheffield winning 106-94.

Leeds Beckett captain Alex Trimbe said after the game: “A sluggish first quarter, sluggish first three-and-a-half quarters to be fair.

“Sheffield came out and did an unbelievable job. There was some great shooting, especially from number 5 (Kendel Glapion).

“We didn’t make our shots, we didn’t make our defence, we didn’t really do anything right. We managed to stay in the game which was great for us because it shows even when we do play badly we still have the ability to get back into the game and make our shots when we need to, it just would have been nice to do it from the beginning.”

Trimbe shouldered some of the responsibility for the defeat, adding: “I need to motivate my team better. We all came out flat, myself included.

“It took us a good quarter to get into it properly. Sheffield went on a 20-4 run to start the game which just isn’t good enough. Defence will be the focus of the next training sessions.”

Star player Kendel Glapion, who scored 25 points for Sheffield, said: “I think the game went really well, we lost the first (BUCS fixture) game so the coach emphasised sticking to the system and I think we did a really great job of that today.

“We got off to a really good start with passing the ball and working as a team. It was a great team win and I’m just really happy we played well and looking forward to the next game.”

Sheffield’s next fixture is a home game against Keele University Men’s Basketball 1s on October 25.