If you’ve never heard of Jamie Lawson think of a guitarist singer-songwriter in the same vein as Vance Joy, James Bay and Passenger.  Their new album Happy Accidents is definitely worth a listen.

Lawson has become well known for his friendship and affiliations with Ed Sheeran, but he’s someone who deserves an excellent reputation that has been years in the making. Signed by Ginger Bread Records, it must be hard to escape the ever-growing limelight of Sheeran, but he really is a fine musician in his own right. Happy Accidents’ name was inspired by how he met his wife when she stumbled across his gig (and the rest is history). You might think that this means the album is full of soppy, romantic love ballads and though there are a few, this album really does present a real musical variety.  

After his number one self-titled album two years ago there was a lot to live up to, especially after the release of top ten single ‘Wasn’t Expecting That’. The first single to come from the album was ‘Can’t See Straight’,  co-written by Ed Sheeran and Snow Patrol’s Johnny McDald – there’s a brilliant Sheeran-Lawson duet of the song on YouTube. The sound and vibe is similar to ‘Wasn’t Expecting That’, but that’s not necessarily a negative thing. Along the lines of more romantic, traditional love song are ‘Miracle of Love’, ‘Falling in Love’ and ‘Tell me Again’, but the most tender, catastrophic love song has to be ‘TheLast Spark’. It’s a classic sung from the heart that doesn’t sound like it was written to be a hit, a refreshing change from the mainstream and how music should be. ‘Sing to the River’ provides another emotive experience, but this of a different kind of heartbreak. The song is about the passing of Lawson’s father, and he revealed that the lyrics are in fact the first and only time he has been able to write about that part of his life.

That’s not all to mean that this is purely a romantic album however, as ‘Fall into Me’ and ‘Time on My Hands’ are much more fast paced and keep a lively pulse running through the album. This prevents would-be critics from saying that the songs are same-y or too sombre. With 17 seventeen tracks on the album, it’s a lengthy experience that’s impossible not to enjoy. A treat for any ear.

★★★★☆