The University of Sheffield’s Badminton Men’s 2s thrashed Northumbria’s Men’s 2s, winning seven out of the eight matches played.

The Black and Golds were keen to secure their pass into the second round of the Northern Conference Cup which last year was won by Northumbria 1s.

From the outset Sheffield played on the attack with the first ranked pair securing a comfortable win over Northumbria’s second ranked pair, 21-18, 21-10.

However the Black and Golds 2nd ranked pair just lost out to Northumbria’s 1st’s 21-16, 12-12, 10-21 in their first match of the evening.

In the men’s singles, Sheffield’s second ranked player, Anuj Savani, endured a lengthy match against Northumbria’s captain and 1st ranked player. This was unquestionably the match of the evening with Sheffield pushing hard to scrape the win 25-23 26-24.

Sheffield’s team captain and first ranked player, Mike Trelfa, won his first match against Northumbria’s 2nd ranked player, 21-14, 21-17.

Both Sheffield doubles pairs rounded up their last matches with two game winners. Sheffield’s first ranked pair ended their evening on a 23-21 21-13 win against Northumbria’s first ranked pair, whilst Sheffield’s second ranked pair had to work a little harder to secure the win over Northumbria’s second ranked pair, finishing 22-20, 23-21.

It was success in the men’s singles too as both men fought hard to finish on a high. The Black and Gold’s captain was not deterred by his teammate’s earlier on-court battle with Northumbria’s team captain and went on to beat him in comfortable style 21-17, 21-17.

Closing the first round of the Northern Conference Cup, Sheffield’s second rank singles player took it to a 3 game fight against Northumbria’s second ranked man, but managed to retain composure and produce a 21-12, 16-21, 21-13 win.

Anuj Savani, Sheffield’s second ranked singles player, said: “I think all the games were really tough games.

“I know some of the doubles games went to three, and some of my games went to three, so I think it was a really strong performance by both teams and we were fortunate to come out on top.”

Captain of the Black and Golds, Mike Trelfa, said:

“It went very well, it’s the first round of the cup so it is always great to keep going in that.

“I was trying a few extra pairs out today who would not normally play, so I am very pleased with the result.”