Forge Media covers This Girl Can

0
116

Sport Sheffield has over 4,000 members, 45% of which are female. With 33 different sports teams accessible to females, success stories are not hard to come by. In terms of recent successes there have been too many to list but here are some of the highlights: Ellen Downs won in the under 20’s South Yorkshire Cross country league. The cycling team has seen an individual compete in the hill climb championships. Women’s football recently hosted a development tournament with York, Leeds and Hallam, with a focus on inclusivity. The women’s rugby union won their match against Edge Hill with the score ending in 27-5, netball and cricket have also had a lot of success in their recent tournaments.

If you want to get involved with the what’s going on during the week click here for all the details.

Climbing

Thomas Milton
Thomas Milton

The girls involved with the University’s climbing club regularly head out into the peaks to climb a selection of the routes the area has to offer. After some difficult climbs they get a unique perspective of some of the peaks’ amazing scenery

Kayaking

Rosie Broadbent
Rosie Broadbent

After having both pool and lake training sessions throughout the weeks at during term-time, the kayaking society enjoy a weekend break, taking on some river rapids.

Skiing

Alex Kennedy

Sheffield’s lack of snow doesn’t mean the skis gather dust in the garden shed. With both an indoor and outdoor slope within driving distance of the uni, the girls in the universities ski club train and compete throughout the year in freestyle and timed events.

Football

Gunnar Mallon

This year’s World Week closed with an international mixed football tournament. All abilities were welcome and the event proved to be a great success, with males and females playing alongside and against each other in a day of semi-competitive matches.

Rugby

SULRFC

The girls Rugby Union has been very successful recently, with a recent victory against Edge Hill, the final score being 27-5. With a competitive BUCS team along with a development squad, the club has a range of players involved. The club captain had this to say:

Sport has such an important role in health, mental wellbeing, and self-esteem – we know that. Yet there are still barriers to girls finding and keeping up a sport. We need to give girls opportunities to find a sport or activity they can get passionate about – whether that’s dancing or rock climbing, swimming or football. The chance to play rugby is not something many girls have experienced before University, but our club is living proof of the benefits of sport. I know members past and present would agree that playing rugby has given them a sport to love, a stress relief, and life-long friends. I can’t wait to watch the number of girls playing rugby grow and grow.

Ellie Williams- Rugby Captain

Equestrian

Nicola Davies

Equestrian offers mixed teams and is one of the few sports where men and women can compete against each other as individuals. The team have tournaments throughout the year with the competitions involving both dressage and show jumping.

Mountain biking

Another team that train in the peak district is the Sheffield University Cycling Club. The society is mixed gender and offer road, cross country and downhill training sessions for various abilities.

Windsurfing

Naomi Sanderson

Finally, forge went to a windsurfing training session with the universities sailing and windsurfing club. They also train in the peak district and have both completive and casual members.