An illustrated book guiding readers through Sheffield’s hidden gems is to be launched tonight at the University of Sheffield.

111 Places in Sheffield That You Shouldn’t Miss, from acclaimed author Michael Glover, is the latest in a series of 111 Places books which aim to highlight the best secret spots in cities across the country.  

The Sheffield edition will include tips on bars, beauty spots and industrial heritage, as well as more specific cultural spots such as the room where the Arctic Monkeys cut their first album.

Glover, an art critic and poet as well as author of the guide, said: “As a native Sheffielder, this book is my attempt to give back to the city of my birth all that it has given to me in so many different ways – to characterise it, to bring it alive, to show off its partially hidden virtues and splendours. From its marvellous industrial achievements to its buildings, from its dramatic hilliness to its music, from its local ale houses to the countryside which engulfs it. This book is my essence of Sheffield.”

He was supported by the University of Sheffield and Marketing Sheffield in the research and writing of the book, and the University’s Alfred Denny Museum of Zoology is included in the guide itself.

Professor Vanessa Toulmin, Director of City and Culture at the University of Sheffield, said “As part of the Cultural Destinations project, we have worked closely with Michael Glover to help develop the content for this wonderful book which captures the beauty and quirkiness of the city of Sheffield.

“We are delighted to see this book on the shelves, which firmly places Sheffield as one of the wonderful cities around the world to visit.”

It’s the first guide book to be published about Sheffield in many years and is the first one to be specifically commissioned by a publisher.

The book will be released at an event at the University of Sheffield tonight, and will be available at a number of retailers including Amazon, Waterstones and Blackwells, as well as independent book shops.