Sheffield Heeley MP Louise Haigh is campaigning to keep the minor injuries unit at the Hallamshire Hospital and the walk-in centre on Broad Lane open.

The Clinical Commissioning Group for the city is planning to move both services to the Northern General Hospital more than two miles away, and is running a consultation until the end of January about the changes.

Ms Haigh is campaigning on this because she claims it would mean a bus journey of more than an hour for some of her constituents.

Speaking about why the current services are important to students, the Labour MP said: “The proposed closures would hit people across Sheffield, but particularly students, who are heavily reliant on public transport and for whom getting to Northern General can be an ordeal.

“I’m also aware that appointments at the University Health Service can be hard to come by, and that for urgent appointments, the Broad Lane walk-in centre is a lifeline.

“If students are concerned about losing urgent care services local to them, I’d urge them to respond to the CCG’s consultation by January 31st and help persuade the CCG to reconsider. If you have any experiences with the walk-in centre you’d like to share, please get in touch with me.”

Louise Haigh is also running a petition against the changes, which at the time of writing has 455 signatures.

To contribute to the consultation on urgent care, a survey can be found on Sheffield CCG’s website.