Former Cabinet minister Vince Cable, now leader of the Liberal Democrats, has called for the walk-in centre on Broad Lane to remain open.

The Sheffield Clinical Commissioning Group has revealed plans to close the facility and move its services to the Northern General Hospital, almost three miles away.

It has just finished running a consultation with members of the public on the proposed closure.

On a visit to the city to support Sheffield Hallam candidate Laura Gordon, who was recently selected to challenge Jared O’Mara for the seat at the next election, Cable spoke out against the proposed changes.

He told the Sheffield Star: “This is another example of bad NHS policy in which lack of funding underlines the real danger of you just driving more people to the accident and emergency wards in hospitals, which is the last thing we really want right now.”

The walk-in centre on Broad Lane is set to be relocated to the outskirts of the city.

The CCG proposed the changes in order to try and improve urgent care services in the city, making it simpler for people to get the care they require. The proposals suggest replacing the walk-in centre on Broad Lane and the minor injuries unit at the Hallamshire – both popular services  – with an urgent treatment centre at the Northern General in the north of the city.

Gordon said to the Star: “If you live in south Sheffield I can see a situation where people will go to A&E in Chesterfield with minor injuries because it is closer than visiting the Northern General. But that will just put their services under more pressure.

“There is a lot of public concern about this and I would urge the decision makers to listen to the public.”