Students and locals can now pedal yet more yellow bikes as ofo celebrates a popular launch seeing thousands of users and trips across the city.

Hailed as “nothing short of fantastic”, ofo has peppered Sheffield with another 300 bikes meaning the city has become the company’s second-largest market outside of London.

Usage data like never before

It comes after usage data showed that 28,000 trips had been made by more than 6,000 people by February 11, one month on from the New Year launch.

University campuses, Sheffield Train Station and Kelham Island Museum were the most popular locations, with the student-populated suburbs of Broomhill, Nether Edge and Walkley being popular end-points.

Costing only 50p for 30 minutes, the ofo app allows users to pick up or drop off bikes anywhere around the city, locking and unlocking them with only their smartphone.

The city was the Chinese company’s first launch in the north of England following roll-outs in London, Norwich, Oxford and Cambridge. There are now plans to introduce the dockless bikes in Leeds later this year.

The data also revealed that usage increased by 20% in the first half of February, and the peak time was between 3pm and 5pm when 1,100 trips were made, double the usage of morning rush hour.

Numbers expected to grow

Joseph Seal-Driver, ofo’s general manager for the UK & Ireland, said: “The initial uptake in Sheffield has been nothing short of fantastic.

The number of trips against hours of the day in Sheffield (picture: ofo UK)

“We are pleased to see usage numbers grow each month, and as the days get longer and the weather improves, we expect to see more and more Sheffield residents adopting ofo bikes as their go-to mode of transport.”

Councillor Jack Scott, Cabinet Member for Transport and Sustainability at Sheffield City Council, added: “I am delighted with the impact that ofo is having on the way our residents make their short journeys across Sheffield.

“We have approved a new wave of bikes to be introduced to the city and will continue to work with ofo to ensure the bike scheme goes from strength to strength and continues to be a vibrant addition to the city’s sustainable transport offer.”