Organisers have hailed this year’s Platform Festival as inspirational and heartwarming after a record sum of more than £2,000 was raised for a local cancer charity.

Staged across the Students’ Union last weekend, events management society Platform raised its highest ever total of £2,173 for Cavendish Cancer Care.

Among those involved across more than 20 packed-out events was Jack Young, a Sheffield alumni who ran a poetry workshop and local artist Jack Green, who donated his work for an exhibition.

“It just restores your faith a little bit in people”

A wide array of performers were showcased across the weekend (picture: Harry Fender)

Speaking to Forge on the final evening of the festival, Platform President Jessie Romain said the success of the event “just restores your faith a little bit in people.”

Romain added: “I’ve just got such a sense of admiration for everyone that has performed over the weekend, and it might not be direct but the amount of lives that we’re changing by organising this one event just makes me so proud of everyone who has put in their time.

Poetry workshops in ‘the den’ were popular (picture: Harry Fender)

“I’ve just been astounded at the turnout – the amount of people that support each other, it’s just incredible for me. I’ve been standing at the back of events crying because I’m so proud of what’s going on.”

Harry Carling, Platform’s Treasurer, was also delighted: “I feel a mixture of exhaustion and being drunk on happiness. We’ve done a really good thing this weekend, and I really couldn’t be happier.”