Seven homeless people avoided the cold weather last weekend after the South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue’s headquarters was opened to rough sleepers.

It is part of a new partnership between Fire & Rescue, the City Council, British Red Cross and the Street Outreach Team, as an attempt to get people off the streets during harsh weather conditions.

The headquarters on Eyre Street was converted into somewhere to sleep starting on Friday 16 March, with Red Cross volunteers offering drinks and snacks while people from the Council and the Street Outreach Team helped them find accommodation and access support.

“Helping people in need and saving lives is core to our mission as a fire service”

The fire service opened its doors during the cold weather across Friday, Saturday and Sunday (picture: SY Fire & Rescue)

Area Manager Tony Carlin said: “Helping people in need and saving lives is core to our mission as a fire service, so it made perfect sense for us to answer the call for emergency accommodation ahead of winter warnings this weekend.

“This initiative provides comfort, warmth and shelter for rough sleepers and the homeless and is a clear example of public agencies working together to help some of the most vulnerable people in our area.”

They say they plan to continue the partnership next winter too.

Councillor Jayne Dunn, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods and Community Safety said: “It’s important to us, particularly with the recent cold temperatures, that extra care and shelter is provided for those most in need in the city. I’m grateful to all of the partners involved in this initiative who have planned, organised and worked together to make this happen in Sheffield.”