BME Committee are launching a protest outside Firth Court this Friday over the University’s supposedly poor handling of recent cases of racism involving their students.

The protest comes over a month after the Varsity Ice Hockey match, where black Hallam student Tyrell Pearce allegedly had a rotten banana thrown at him by a University of Sheffield student.

Hajira Liaquat, Chair of the Sheffield BME committee and organiser of the protest, said: “I have organised this protest to lobby the university to take incidents of racism on campus seriously. I have been appalled by their inadequate response to dealing with racism, since it appears to me that they are more concerned with maintaining a credible reputation, rather than helping their students.

“Many students have experienced racism on campus but have chosen not to report it, and this is not surprising. How can we trust the University when they seem adamant on concealing such matters? Every student at the University of Sheffield deserves to feel safe, and it is time that the university starts acting to ensure this.”

The SU Officers have pledged their full support to the protest. Women’s Officer Celeste Jones said: “Racism on campus is alive and thriving and we need to put a stop to it. BME committee have work very hard on this and we all look forward to the protest.”

The University declined to comment while the investigation is ongoing.

The protest will take place outside Firth Court from 1pm to 2pm on Friday 27 April.

If you have had any experiences of racism or other abusive behaviour that you wish to highlight, please contact editor@forgetoday.com.