Dan Jarvis has been elected as the first mayor of the Sheffield City Region ahead of several other candidates.

The Labour and Co-Operative candidate, who is currently the MP for Barnsley Central, was elected on second-preference votes, ending up with 74% of the vote in the second round against the Conservative’s Ian Walker.

He came just shy of winning the election in the first round, getting 122,635 votes (48%) on a turnout of 26%.

That meant all but the top two candidates – Jarvis and Walker – were eliminated and second-preference votes counted.

Four candidates were on stage for the declaration: Jarvis, Mick Bower (Yorkshire Party), Naveen Judah (South Yorkshire Save Our NHS) and Robert Murphy (Green).

After his victory was announced, Jarvis said he was proud to be elected and thanked the people who elected him. He said he was committed to giving back to the people who voted him in. He also paid tribute to the election officials and other candidates who made the election possible, as well as his family and team for their “fortitude” and “patience”.

He said we needed to prepare for a post-Brexit Britain, and we needed to reform every aspect of our political system. “For us here in South Yorkshire, that begins today,” he said.

Speaking exclusively to Forge Press, Jarvis said he was committed to students: “When I first announced my intention to run to be the mayor, the very first meeting I did was at Sheffield Hallam University so I’m really keen to work with students.

“I think we can be really proud of the talent of the young people we’ve got here in South Yorkshire, really proud of the fact that we’ve got two world-class universities and some really good colleges.

“It’s an important agenda for me, to work with students and listen to what they’ve got to say, to listen to the issues that really matter to them, whether it’s about transport, skills, employment opportunities or housing.

“These are big issues for younger people so I look forward to working with students and younger people more generally to see what I can do to support those agendas as the new mayor.”

The victory for Jarvis came off the back off a poor night for Labour on Sheffield City Council, having lost three seats to the Green Party and Liberal Democrats.