Forge Media would like to apologise for recent comments made on the @GuidoForge Twitter account, in particular tweets in which a student was misgendered.

We apologise for any offence caused as a consequence and for the dismissive attitude when the account was made aware of this. All outlets of Forge have a responsibility as Working Committees to educate ourselves and our members with regard to pronouns and terms relating to the LGBT+ community and other liberation and equality groups. We acknowledge Forge could do more to raise awareness of LGBT+ issues and the use of personal pronouns and have planned training in September to start working on this. We are keen to collaborate with the LGBT+ Committee, as well as the other Equality and Liberation Committees to ensure we are better representing all student voices.

As the incoming Heads of Forge Media Outlets for the next academic year, we have reviewed the situation and have decided to terminate the @GuidoForge Twitter account with immediate effect. Forge Media takes pride in being accountable and representative of the whole student population, and we believe @GuidoForge is not a positive representation of this. As a student media organisation and a working committee, Forge should be able to be held accountable for what they publish and broadcast.We feel that the anonymity of @GuidoForge undermines this.

Over the last five years, @GuidoForge’s satirical content has proved popular with its followers and has helped increase interest in student politics. However, we believe any account of this nature should be able to be held to account and its current structure and operation did not allow this.

We will be reviewing what people liked about the account over the summer and will look at avenues for producing content which could fulfil an alternative point of view whilst remaining accountable and accessible to all.

Signed:

Adam Bailey (Radio Station Manager 2018/19)

Dan Cross (TV Station Manager 2018/19)

David Anderson (Press Editor-in-Chief 2018/19)