The University of Sheffield is celebrating as two courses were ranked as best nationally among major climbs in the Guardian University Guide 2019.

Published yesterday, the bill was topped by Sheffield being named the best university in the country to study Architecture and Journalism.

The university also marked its place in the top two for Criminology and Sociology, and fourth for Engineering courses in Materials and Minerals, Building, and Town and Country Planning.

READ MORE: Sheffield SU reaches tenth year at the top

Strength in depth was evident with degrees from Dentistry to Politics, and Social Policy to Computer Science peppering the top 20 rankings.

‘Delighted’

Professor Sir Keith Burnett, President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sheffield, said: “I am delighted the University of Sheffield has once again been recognised for the high standards of teaching we provide for students.

Sheffield Vice Chancellor Keith Burnett said he was ‘delighted’ (Richter Frank-Jurgen, Flickr)

“A Sheffield degree is certainly challenging, but we also pride ourselves on our openness and positive student experience across the board as well as the very close links we have with external organisations.”

It comes after Sheffield Students’ Union has reached a decade as the UK’s best, and the institution was named 104th in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018.

Burnett continued: “Whether here in the UK or overseas, graduates and employers tell me that a Sheffield degree has stood individuals in good stead for professional careers as our students go on to make a positive difference in their own lives and in the world.

“I’m delighted that this hard work and success is reflected in this Guardian ranking, and I have no doubt that a University of Sheffield degree will continue to be a hallmark of quality for graduates in the UK and beyond.”