Sheffield City Council has said that Magid Magid does not have the authority to ban anyone from the city, after the new Lord Mayor claimed he was banning US President Donald Trump from Sheffield ahead of his UK visit.

On Wednesday, Magid posted a tweet calling Trump a “wasteman” and saying that the Republican president was banned from visiting the city when he visits the country.

It was posted alongside a picture of Magid in his signature crouched pose, wearing a sombrero and a T-shirt which echoed the “wasteman” sentiment.

He said: “I Magid Magid, Lord Mayor & first citizen of this city hereby declare that not only is Donald J Trump a WASTEMAN (sic), but he is also henceforth banned from the great city of Sheffield!

“I further declare July 13th to be Mexico Solidarity Day!”

However, a Council statement confirmed that neither they nor any individuals have the power to ban anyone from the city, although Full Council could agree to condemn the views of an individual or organisation.

Trump is scheduled to visit the UK from Thursday July 12 to Sunday July 15, and he is expected to meet the Queen and Prime Minister Theresa May.

The trip is causing much controversy, with a “Stop Trump” march planned in central London, and a ‘Trump baby’ balloon planned to fly over the capital.