Around 1,000 people are expected to take to the streets of Sheffield tonight to join nationwide shows of defiance of Donald Trump’s visit to Britain, with nine bars offering free tequila to fuel the protest party.

Hundreds will assemble at 5pm outside Sheffield City Hall for the two hour rally against the US President’s three-day working visit.

Lord Mayor of Sheffield Magid Magid is branding the event ‘Mexico Solidarity Day’, following his declaration last week that Trump is “banned” from the city, calling him a “wasteman”.

Nine bars including The Devonshire, The York and The Common Room are offering free tequila in unity with the Mexico Day, with Amigos and Revolucion De Cuba offering complimentary nachos.

Nick Stevens from Hope Not Hate, who helped promote the rally, said: “We’ll be looking at many hundreds, possibly somewhere close to 1000 people.

Trump was met with great pomp and circumstance at Blenheim Palace (picture: Flickr)

“This is about Sheffield standing together against everything that Trump represents; the racism, the misogyny and the bigotry.

“With racism seemingly on something of a march in parts of Europe, as well as the UK & US, it’s vital that the rest of us, who remain proud of our anti-racist values and committed to challenging hatred in whatever form it might manifest itself, take to the streets, show our presence and make our voices heard.”

It forms part of the dozens of protests taking place in towns and cities across all four corners of the country today, including Derby, Birmingham and Cardiff. Organisers said around 100,000 people have turned out at the fiery London march today.

The American President’s visit has caused controversy across the country (picture: Flickr)

Although Magid himself is at the national London demonstration, many local figures are expected to attend the march including former Green Party leader Natalie Bennett.

Stevens added: “I would also say that, here in Sheffield, this has taken on an added significance in recent months following the disgusting, racist backlash from some small corners of society to our fantastic new Lord Mayor, Magid.

“The majority of Sheffield have not taken kindly to attack on one of our own, so, in essence, this is about showing solidarity not only with him but also with minority communities across the city.”