Hundreds of fans and national teams filled the city centre this evening as top cyclists from across the country hurtled through Sheffield’s streets.

Steel city rider Joey Walker of Team Wiggins took the Sheffield Grand Prix title as visitors, seasoned cyclists and locals lined the streets for the latest episode of the British Cycling street circuit series.

He joined a host of elite riders from the British Cycling team, JLT Condor and Team Wiggins, speeding around the city at an average speed of 50 km/h.

The home straight was shadowed by the Sheffield City Council chambers (picture: @SheffGrandPrix on Twitter)

Sheffield born and bred Walker said: “It feels mega, those crowds on the last three laps brought me home, I’m proper happy.

“To have that win, home crowd and that, it’s always better so I’m buzzing.

Luxury food pop-ups and bars couldn’t beat the taste of adrenaline (picture: Ewan Somerville)

“I didn’t know what to do coming into the last 15 laps but then the attack started and I thought why not, it feels brilliant.”

Streamed live on Eurosport, tonight’s race forms one of 14 races in the British Cycling circuit calendar, watched by a combined total of 50 million people last year across all media outlets.

The fastest recorded lap for the 1.4km circuit was 1 minute 43 seconds, with the lap closing off Arundel Gate, Tudor Square, Pinstone Street and Norfolk Street to traffic.

Top teams from across the country took part (picture: Ewan Somerville)
Riders were travelling at an average of almost 50 km/h

Champagne showered the full podium in an atmosphere reminiscent of Formula One, as Jon Mould, from team JTD Condor, placed second ahead of Toby Horton, a Guernsey professional rider from Madison Genesis.

The British Cycling circuit series will make the short trip to Barnsley on Friday before concluding at the Colne GP on July 25.