The chief executive of Sheffield Doc/Fest, the country’s largest documentary festival, has stepped down after three years in the job.

Elizabeth McIntyre, who is festival director as well as CEO, has left the role after overseeing the successful 25th anniversary of the festival in June.

She said: “It  has been an absolute  honour and privilege to  play my part in the Doc/Fest  story, a festival I dearly love,  culminating in the delivery of the 25th edition.

“I  would  like to  offer my heartfelt  thanks to the team,  Board, Advisory and all supporters  for both wonderful collaborations and  friendships.”

The festival will launch its recruitment process for a new director in September.

McIntyre’s tenure with the festival has been a successful one, growing the audience through initiatives such as Doc/Dinner. Ticket sales this year saw an increase of 16 per cent on last year’s figures.

Alex  Graham,  Sheffield  Doc/Fest Chair, said: “I  am immensely proud of what  Liz has achieved these last three  years.

“Her  professionalism  and vision have  created a fertile  environment for her  talented senior team to  deliver increasingly pioneering  and compelling festival programmes,  widely celebrated by both industry and  public audiences.

“She  is leaving  Doc/Fest in great  shape. On behalf of  the board, I would like  to thank her for her passion  and brilliance, and I wish her  very well for the future.”