The University of Sheffield has announced 250 new PhD places in the arts and humanities will be offered over the next five years.

Funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, the research will include work with a variety of partner organisations including museums, galleries, charities and the creative industries.

Professor Susan Fitzmaurice, Vice-President for Arts and Humanities at the University of Sheffield, said: “We are delighted to have been awarded funding for the White Rose College of the Arts and Humanities to support the next generation of academics in the arts and humanities.

“Universities can play a crucial role in solving some of the biggest and most pressing issues facing the world today, but they will struggle to do this without researchers from the arts and humanities.”

“Some of our most significant problems have human behaviour, culture and beliefs at the very heart of the issue and it’s arts and humanities scholars who are uniquely placed to help with this,” she added.

“Enabling our best and brightest students to conduct genuinely ground-breaking research to continue to build the arts and humanities is very important and the White Rose College of the Arts and Humanities is key to this work.”