The first three performances of Sheffield University Theatre Company’s first ever production at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival have sold out, with three more yet to come.

The SUTCo show, My Mate Dave Died, started on Monday 20 August at Forest Theatre, Greenside, and the first three days’ showings have both sold out with three more to come before Saturday 25 August.

The original two-and-a-half-hour comedy drama sold out its original run in Sheffield last year, and has been reworked into an hour-long showing fit for a Fringe audience.

Mike Alexander, the writer and director, said: “We never expected such positive reception and we’re just so excited that everyone’s enjoying the show. Selling out in our original Sheffield run was amazing, and now Edinburgh – it’s surreal.

“We hope this can set a precedent and become a staple in SUTCo’s calendar moving forward, because this has been a fantastic experience for all of us.”

SUTCo are in Edinburgh performing their new production, which is about a character named Jimmy, whose best friend Dave dies, but is then inexplicably returned to Earth only visible to Jimmy. Together, they work together to help Dave pass to the other side.

“I’m so grateful to be a part of this experience – morale is so high across the cast and company,” .

“We’re being recognised for our angel wings and halos on the mile, which makes flyering in the Edinburgh rain so much better!

“We’re hoping we can continue on this trajectory up. We’re having the best time and ultimately we just want people to enjoy the show.”