The Edge Bar in Endcliffe Student Village has been renovated over the summer with a new retro aesthetic, and rebranded as ‘The Edge Lounge Bar’.

The bar, frequented by first years living in University accommodation, has removed its pool tables and one big screen in favour of sofas and a lighter, more considered interior design.

Ashley Shepphard, who manages university bars The Edge and The University Arms told Forge Press that the change was a considered one, to target a wider audience than just sports fans.

He said: “We’ve tried to make it just a little more friendly for everybody. It was quite masculine before. It was quite heavily sport led and quite heavily ‘standard lager type’ led. So we just tried to make the offer a bit more user friendly for everybody.”

The new Edge Bar has gone all out on the Sheffield traditions. Picture: Dan Cross/David Anderson

The new design sees the walls adorned with the lyrics to ‘Mardy Bum’ by Arctic Monkeys and ‘Common People’ by Pulp, as well as a number of retro band posters and neon lights.

“It was quite masculine before. It was quite heavily sport and ‘standard lager type’ led”

“We just wanted something that was a bit different, a bit cool and a bit retro,” Shepphard added.

“[The students] might not know who all these bands are, but they’ve played in Sheffield and that’s the reason we’ve got them.

The new menu design is in-keeping with the more relaxed feel. Picture: Dan Cross/David Anderson

“Obviously Pulp are from Sheffield and Arctic Monkeys are from Sheffield. We just wanted to keep it relevant. And it’s pretty cool. I think it’s cool.”

The new look is accompanied with a new menu and drinks offers, and catered student food will also now be served in the bar, rather than through the dining room.

A new range of evening events is also on offer, including an open mic night on a Monday, party nights on a Friday and Saturday, and movies on a Sunday.

“Everybody should come down,” Shepphard said. “It’s just a nice place to be, a nice place to relax. We will have sport on, but mostly it will be music. We might have sport on with no sound.

“So it’s a nice place to be, a nice place to eat, we’ve got the lounge area. So hopefully all the students sitting in their rooms will come and sit here with us.”