If you’ve just turned up at the University of Sheffield, you’re probably both nervous and excited. Sheffield is rich in culture, but moving to a new city can be daunting if you’ve never been here before. So, to make things easier for you, we’ve compiled a bucket list of some things you just have to do in your first year.

1. Join your first society

The Students’ Union has over 300 societies, so you’re bound to find something you’re interested in. Political or campaigning, creative, cultural, you name it and we’ve probably got a society for it so don’t be shy, sign up and get involved. Hey, you could even join Forge Media.

2. Have a Notty House pie

One of Sheffield’s finest traits is undoubtedly its food, and the pies at the Nottingham House pub – meat, vegetarian and vegan options are available – which come with generous portions of mashed potato (or chips, if you prefer) are one of the staples of a Sheffield student’s diet. For a special occasion or if you’re just a bit peckish, your first pie is a vital part of first year.

3. Miss your first lecture (and don’t feel guilty)

You’re (probably) not going to make all your lectures, despite what you tell yourself at the start of the year. So, when you do miss one for the first time for whatever reason (we all have our excuses), don’t feel bad, it happens to all of us. Don’t make a regular habit of it and you’ll be reyt (that’s Yorkshire slang – you’ll be learning lots more of that).

The Hicks Building – Juliet Cookson

4. Get lost walking around campus

The first time you’re on campus, it can be a daunting place, filled with buildings named after people you’ve never heard of. If you’re lost, it’s fine, there are 27,000 people around to help you, all of whom were the same as you once. You’ll get the hang of it.

5. Get a Broomhill Friery/Flavours/Kieran’s food van/other acceptable takeaway option after a night out

The best part of a night out for a lot of people is the food afterwards. Thankfully, Sheffield has plenty of options to satisfy your hunger. Broomhill Friery and Flavours are both respectable options in Broomhill, but the Students’ Union have brought in a new food van, ready to serve tasty morsels after nights out at Foundry.

6. Ride the paternoster

The continually-moving paternoster lift in the Arts Tower is one of just two left in the country, and the tallest operational one in Europe. It has no doors and takes some athletic ability to get out, but it’s a must-do for Sheffield students, preferably before you’re old and grey in second year.

7. Be in the library at an unacceptable hour

Be it morning or night, there’s always someone in the library at an unbelievable hour, and it’s fair to say you probably won’t get through first year without it being you at some point. It might be early to grab a seat during exams, or late if you’re pulling an all-nighter on that essay you left too late, but it’ll be you. Relish it.

The Peak District – Juliet Cookson

8. Go for a walk in the Peaks

Not many cities can boast having something as beautiful as the Peak District just a 15 minute bus ride away. At some point in your first year, get some mates, get the bus out and take in the breathtaking sights. Then take the compulsory Instagram photo so everyone knows you did it.

9. Get involved with the city

This is going to be your home for the next three years, hopefully. If you’re so inclined, you can get involved with the city, maybe by volunteering or joining political parties, or by supporting local businesses and music venues. Sheffield has so much to offer young people, so grab it with both hands.

The Botanical Gardens – Jolie Hamilton-Warford

10. Don’t get too daunted by the hills

It can be scary seeing all the hills in Sheffield (although you haven’t seen anything until you discover Conduit Road in Crookesmoor) but there’s always a silver lining: by the time you leave your legs will be made of steel, and you’ll have a degree. Not many universities can say that.

Header image: Juliet Cookson