The University of Sheffield has been named as one of the most prestigious universities nationally and internationally.

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019 have Sheffield at 12th in the league table for the country, as well as 106th out of more than 1,250 institutions worldwide.

This comes just months after its Students’ Union was named the best in the country for the tenth year running.

Professor Gill Valentine, Provost and Deputy Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sheffield, said: “I am delighted that the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019 have reaffirmed our place as a world-class University with a global reputation for research, excellent learning and teaching and a top-class student experience.

“The University, which is home to a global community of talent, has put a real focus on building strong international partnerships in teaching and research, so I am delighted to see our international outlook has been recognised in such a globally competitive environment.

“The fact we have also been ranked highly for citations is testament to our academic strengths and expertise across all faculties, with our leading research making a significant real-world impact to people’s daily lives and the global economy.”

The University was also named one of the most international universities, due in part to its #WeAreInternational campaign which was founded jointly with the SU and is now supported by more than 150 universities.