Brummie based DJ Hazard, famed for his distinctive heavy style of drum and bass and work alongside pioneering force Playaz, headlined Tuesday Club for a night of skull-shaking bass. Hazard’s relentless dedication to his art saw him shoot to fame almost overnight and become one of the biggest names in jump up. Also known for his legendary back to back sets with DJ Hype, it was definitely a treat to welcome him to Foundry.  

Resident DJ Andy H kicked off the proceedings, playing a slew of heavy DnB and jungle to get the growing crowd ready for what was to come.

The anticipation was building for Hazard as young female DJ, Barely Legal, who recently just launched her own record label ‘Pretty Weird’ got behind the decks. Her varied style combines a mix of electronic sub-genres, namely garage and drum and bass. She began her set with a bass-heavy, slow tempo track. The compact crowd bobbed and swayed, listening intently and waiting for the intensity to build. As she dropped a remix of Unknown T’s raw and rowdy ‘Homerton B’, the pace quickly picked up in the room.

Barely moved from garage and grime to DnB. Heavyweight DJ Shy FX’s brand new track ‘Badboy Business’ completely changed the vibe. The crowd erupted as the track dropped, weaving through Jungle, dance floor and soul-laced vibes. The room lapped up the change in momentum and seemed to come alive. It was almost like this was what the crowd had been waiting for.

As Hazard took to the stage he was joined by MC Carasel who helped retain the high energy Barely left behind. The sound instantly grew darker and heavier as he started mixing. His trademark style of continuously pumping out relentless, hard hitting tracks kept this new found energy high.  

He kept dropping notoriously heavy rollers as his set continued. The crowd were entranced as he dropped A.M.C’s remix of ‘Tap Ho’  and as it gathered momentum into its screeching drop they exploded into euphoric screams and cheers, skanking left, right and centre. The energy was infectious.

Of course, no set from DJ Hazard would be complete without him dropping his infamous festival anthems ‘Bricks Don’t Roll’ and ‘Mr Happy’. As soon as ‘Bricks Don’t Roll’ began, gun fingers ready, the crowd began moving together as one. Everyone in the room was chanting along to the legendary bassline.

Hazard moved between high tempo tracks with ease. His passion and level of skill was impressive, it’s easy to see how he has risen to fame. From the moment he got on stage, he never let the crowd rest. If you’re a fan of solid thumping DnB and jump-up, then make sure you catch Hazard at one of his other upcoming events this year across the UK.

Image: David Bares