The Coral has maintained a perennial presence on the British music scene for over two decades now, and performing to a packed out room at the Leadmill on Sunday night, they proved to be as strong as ever.

The night got off to a rock n’ roll start with the Cut Glass Kings, before acclaimed Liverpool foursome She Drew The Gun took to the stage with their catchy political pop, triggering a quick ‘Yorkshire’ chant from the crowd.

The Coral then received a rapturous welcome, and in front of a striking backdrop, the band rattled through a huge selection of their varied back catalogue.

The first half of the set had a slower pace with a mix of old and new tracks. The crowd-pleasing old favourite ‘In The Morning’ kicked off a rockier and more upbeat second half, that even sparked the beginnings of a mosh pit.

Started by a group of school friends from the Wirral, The Coral are an indie music success story with an impressive twenty years in the industry. They debuted in the 90s, experimenting with a range of genres, and received a Mercury Prize nomination the day after their self-titled debut LP release in 2002.

Their mix of styles over the years has included indie, psychedelic pop, garage and folk-rock, incorporating a layered sound and impressive guitar work that even the non-musically minded can appreciate.

Their long-standing dedication to producing quality music has obviously won them a loyal fan base, who sang along to songs off their latest album ‘Move Through The Dawn’, as well as their older hits.

The group saved their biggest hit, ‘Dreaming of You’, for the encore, and despite building up the anticipation a little too long, it was definitely worth the wait.  

From the opinion of those who know and love their biggest hits, some of their newer songs don’t quite seem to generate the same infectious crowd energy. But for a band still drawing a big turnout while touring their ninth album, The Coral clearly have a special something that has kept them alive and kicking in the modern music industry.

Image: Alicia Hannah