Last weekend, Sheffield’s No Bounds festival celebrated a second year as part of the city’s prolific music scene. The generous line up boasted names such as Daniel Avery, Paula Temple, Volvox and Mark Fell. It all took place in the grounds of the WWI gun barrel factory-turned-club, Hope Works, and the two-day event certainly succeeded in proving why Sheffield is known for its electronic music.

When I arrived at the venue I was unsure what to expect. I didn’t know much about the performers and being a new student, had yet to venture to this side of town. Despite this, as well as trying to ignore a bad case of Freshers flu, I knew it’d be a good night as soon as I heard the crowd-chatter and pulsing bass from outside, even more so when I felt the sweat in the air inside the warehouse. Events like these are the perfect antidote to overly-promoted and highly-strung student club nights, for those who enjoy a more leftfield, curated night out where you can let loose and boogie away your woes without judgement.

Some personal highlights of the Saturday night lineup include Kampire, a Ugandan DJ whose extremely danceable, fast-paced house beats had an obvious influence of traditional and contemporary African styles. Her picks were fun, energetic and accessible for those opting for a more disco-ey feel over some of the heavier, more experimental acts.

Another favourite was Volvox, a New York DJ with straightforward, groovy, techy beats that were easy to get lost in despite the densely packed room. The sound system was crisp and, despite having three acts on simultaneously and in close proximity, was all-surrounding.

If you found yourself wanting a more ambient, hypnotic feel then Bristol duo Giant Swan was who to see. The NTS regulars certainly attracted a crowd as the heavy bass and experimental sounds rang out. It was unlike any live set I’ve seen before, with distorted percussive beats and slow-echoey tones.  

Unfortunately, my cold-riddled-self couldn’t hack it until the 7 am finish but I did make sure to stay for Daniel Avery, the London-based producer, whose much-awaited second album was just released this year. Avery embodies the underground club scene, and with strobe lights and sweat in the air amongst the dancing crowd, it was a perfect way to end the night, even if I would have liked to have lasted to see Afrodeutsche.

No Bounds festival was a really impressive event and had a lot of experimental sounds. Keep your eyes peeled for Hope Work’s upcoming events.

Image: Hope Works