The ‘super star’ former director of Tramlines festival Sarah Nulty has been honoured with a memorial plaque and posthumous civic award to recognise her lasting impact on Sheffield’s music scene.

The city’s Lord Mayor Magid Magid, and Tramlines Operations Director Timm Cleasby, unveiled the tribute on Monday at Devonshire Green – the original site of the Tramlines’ Main Stage in 2009.

Described as the “life and soul” of Tramlines, Ms Nulty was instrumental in the launch of the annual festival in 2009 and by 2013 she took on the role as Festival Director. She passed away in July, aged 36, just three weeks before the 10th anniversary of Tramlines.

‘An inspiration for young women’

Mr Cleasby said: “This plaque is perfectly situated at the original site of the main stage at Devonshire Green and will evoke many great memories of Sarah when we visit it.

Lord Mayor Magid Magid and Tramlines Director Timm Cleasby unveil the memorial plaque. Photo: Marc Barker

“We hope that it serves as both a lasting reminder of the incredible work Sarah has done over the years, but also as an inspiration for young women who might get involved in music too.”

The ceremony also included speeches from the City Council Leader Julie Dore, and Richard Eyre, Head of City Centre and Major Events.

Ms Nulty is also set to receive the Outstanding Contribution Award at this years Association of Independent Festivals.

“She was, and will always be, our Super Star”

When she came to Sheffield as a student in 1999, Ms Nulty worked at Gatecrasher and Bed nightclub before going on to manage various venues and live music events around the city.

Lord Mayor Magid Magid paid tribute to Sarah Nulty. Picture: Marc Barker

Ms Nulty’s mother, Julie Voisey, said: “At age 18, Sarah chose Sheffield to be her new home and grew to love the city.

“She was humble about her achievements and would be honoured to receive this recognition of her hard work and contribution to Sheffield’s music scene.

“We are so proud of what she achieved in the short time she was here. She was, and will always be, our Super Star.”