The Tuesday Club presented Mr Thing and Mr Scruff at the Foundry on Friday 19 October. Continuing with their theme of musical diversity following rapper Ocean Wisdom’s appearance earlier in the week, both DJs provided a different sound to the Foundry on a sold-out Friday night.

Mr Thing is a renowned British hip-hop producer who has worked with artists such as Yungun, Doc Brown and Devise. Balding and unassuming, he stood behind his decks in an oversized tee and played some of the hottest rap records of recent years, as well as past classics which got the crowd fired up. Mr Thing showed off the DJ talent that made him the winner of the 2000 DMC UK DJ Championships by not just simply playing the tracks but going proper old school and scratching the disks to create an authentic hip-hop sound and experience.

After a few hours of rap, the event progressed into a night of electro-house-jazz. Mr Scruff came on stage and got behind the decks alongside an MC as the crowd stirred in front of him. The MC didn’t do much other than evoke positive messages and sway along with the rest of the crowd to Mr Scruff’s genius hybrid DJ set. Unlike anything I’ve heard before, he would play a typical jazz song consisting of saxophones, trumpets and bass guitar, then out of nowhere drop a house bassline cutting through the jazz, working in beautiful harmony. The result: a crowd of boogying students with a new love for jazz.

Image: The Tuesday Club