A giant spider has been let loose across Sheffield, terrorising the people of Park Hill – in the latest episode of Doctor Who.

Around 6.4 million viewers watched behind cushions as the iconic Sheffield flats played backdrop to Sunday’s chilling episode, with some calling it ‘the scariest since the Weeping Angels’ on Twitter.

It is the second time the new series has visited Sheffield, featuring Jodie Whittaker as the first ever female Doctor Who, after it premiered at the Light Cinema on the Moor earlier this month.

The Yorkshire-born star sent a dramatic message about the city’s knife crime in the first episode when she declared, ‘only idiots carry knives’.

The plot saw the grade-II listed Park Hill home to Yasmin Khan, one of the Doctor’s friends, and Stormzy made an appearance as the Doctor made a feeble attempt to fend off Sheffield’s arachnid beasts.

Some were left ‘traumatised’ on Twitter, while another called on Harry Potter legend Hagrid to come to the rescue.

But other viewers were more excited than scared, as they recognised their own flats on the classic British show.

Sex and the City star Chris Noth also featured in last week’s BBC One show, alongside guest Coronation Street star Shobna Gulati.

It’s not the first time the ‘Streets in the Sky’ have appeared on the small screen, following roles in This is England, and Police 2020.

Famed for its pioneering design, Park Hill has also been used in the 2014 film ‘71 to recreate scenes in The Troubles, and of course appears in an Arctic Monkeys music video.

@ewansomerville