This year’s SU Council elections have been branded as the most successful Council elections in the SU’s history by Lilian Jones.

Results were announced on Thursday 18 October at a results evening at Coffee Revolution, and showed the highest turnout at SU Council elections ever, with over 4,700 votes cast for the positions of SU councillors and NUS delegates.

The elections saw a record number of candidates running for positions too, as 248 students stood up to be departamental or representative councillors, or NUS delegates.

Lilian Jones, President of the SU, said: “I am incredibly impressed how many students from across the departments and representative groups have stood up in order to make students’ lives better.

Lilian Jones, Sheffield SU’s president. Picture: Sheffield SU

“By standing at this election, you have put yourself forward to truly represent students, in front of the SU as a councillor, or nationally as an NUS delegate.

“Both are a chance to make a real change to students’ lives and I can’t emphasise this enough.”

The highest number – a total of 14 candidates – competed for the opportunity to represent the Sheffield SU at the NUS National Conference in April next year. They will be sending a delegation of seven students together with the SU President.