A Sheffield burger joint has been accused of ‘mocking rape and sexual assault’ by the University’s Feminist Society, after it named a burger after the disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

Last week Forge Press reported how despite Randy’s Hardcore Burgers apologising for ‘The Weinstein burger’, uproar and outrage on Twitter did not relent – with some calling for the restaurant to shut down.

FemSoc damned the apology as “an understatement” and called for the rest of the menu, including ‘Fake Taxi’, ‘Ja-Makin’ me Dinner’ and ‘Ca$ting C0uch’ burgers, to be rebranded.

In a public statement, the society added: “The burger names are not only highly insensitive, but in fact contribute to the harmful and stigmatized conversation surrounding rape and rape culture.

FemSoc accused the new restaurant of “propagating and glamourising rape culture” and invited its owners to get in touch to discuss why. Picture: Google

“We find it both shocking and intolerable that you would make a decision to capitalise on those who have been raped or sexually assaulted, in an attempt to sell burgers.”

‘We would like to remind you that it’s 2018’

Weinstein is on bail for alleged rape and sexual assault, after 70 women came forward with allegations against him – widely regarded as the beginning of the #MeToo movement.

Last week, the Randy’s branch in Manchester took to Twitter to disown the Sheffield restaurant over its addition of ‘The Weinstein’, but both restaurants share the same remaining menu.

FemSoc is calling for the full menu at Randy’s Sheffield to be rebranded. Picture: Randy’s

But, FemSoc commented, “We would like to remind you both that it is…purely luck that your chain has not been publicly disgraced for your other burger names previously.”

Louise Haigh, the Labour MP for Sheffield Heeley, condemned ‘The Weinstein’ as “grotesque” and said she won’t be dining at Randy’s.

‘Solidarity’

FemSoc added: “Given the current climate, we do not feel The Weinstein’s inappropriateness requires further explanation, but would like to remind you that as it is currently 2018, the mockery of rape and sexual assault will not be tolerated anywhere, least of all in a city home to thousands of progressive locals and students.

“We as as a society stand in solidarity with those who are affected in a multitude of ways by rape, rape culture and sexual assault.

“We are writing on behalf of all who have been made victim to these, as well as those fighting for the eradication of this toxic culture.”

@ewansomerville